When considering any cosmetic surgery procedure, it’s practical and very wise to give thought to how much recovery time you’ll need. It will be tremendously helpful to know what to expect in the hours, days and weeks after your procedure. You also can help prepare those around you, including the people you work with, by letting them know ahead of time what to expect and helping them plan for it as needed.
As far as immediate recovery from anesthesia is concerned, times can vary from patient to patient, but most people recover from anesthesia within just a few hours. You may feel groggy or nauseated at first, but most patients are well recovered, awake and able to read a book by the evening of their procedure.
During the first couple of postoperative days, it is likely that you will need a bit of assistance, depending on your procedure.
Here are some guidelines for popular procedures, to give you an idea of what you may need.
- Liposuction: Patients are typically able to get around unassisted by the second day (earlier if smaller areas are liposuctioned). Most patients are able to go back to work in four to six days after the procedure.
- Breast Surgery: Although the patient may not be able to raise arms above the head, the patient can usually do most things unassisted by the second day. The patient can usually return to a desk job five to seven days after the procedure. Two weeks may be required for jobs that require exertion, such as food server or flight attendant.
- Facelift: The patient can get around alone on the second day. It may be ten days to two weeks before the patient feels comfortable being seen in public again.
- Eyelid Surgery: The patient can get around unassisted on the second day. The patient may want to wear sunglasses and surgical makeup when going out in public after the third day. He or she can go back to work about the sixth postoperative day.
- Tummy Tuck: It may require up to four days before the patient can get around alone. Patients who have a desk job may return in ten days. More strenuous jobs like a food server or letter carrier may require at least three weeks.
Contact Atlanta Plastic Surgeon Dr. Colgrove to Schedule a Consultation
For more information about treatments and procedures by Board Certified Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Robert A. Colgrove, Jr., M.D. at Vinings Surgery Center please visit us at www.colgrove.com
Vinings Surgery Center is taking patients from Greater Atlanta Georgia, Buckhead, Marietta, Roswell, Dunwoody and surrounding areas.
See Our Cosmetic Surgery Price List